Clearly milking Star Wars’ revival for all its worth, Disney have finally announced the 3D release of last year’s hit, with a UK release date on October 31st. In time for Christmas as well as the next movie of the franchise, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which hits Cinemas on December 16th.
This release is almost identical to last, but will have few more docs and some new deleted scenes. It will also be dubbed a “Collector’s Edition” and also be released on DVD, a format whcih does not support 3D, to ensure that everybody buys this whether they can play 3D or not.
Does this justify two releases in one year?
Of course not but it is what it is and in the end, at least we get a little more for our money that just a 3D upgrade, an option which was sorely lacking in April’s release.
But will we ever see Episode I or II and III in 3D? Time will tell…
3D Collector’s Edition Bonus Features…
- Audio Commentary with J.J. Abrams – Enter the mind of visionary director J.J. Abrams as he reveals the creative and complex choices made while developing the first film in the new Star Wars trilogy.
- Foley: A Sonic Tale – Foley artists, consisting of old pros and new talent, unite to bring the world of Star Wars: The Force Awakens alive through the matching of sound to action.
- Sounds of the Resistance – Hear how the epic sound design of Star Wars: The Force Awakens moves the Star Wars legacy forward.
- Deleted Scenes – View never-before-shared scenes that didn’t make the film’s final cut.
- Dressing the Galaxy – Costume designer Michael Kaplan reveals how the costumes of the original Star Wars movies were re-envisioned for a new generation.
- The Scavenger and the Stormtrooper: A Conversation with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega – The two new stars share the thrill of working together on the adventure of a lifetime and becoming part of the Star Wars legacy.
- Inside the Armory – Take a fascinating tour through the design and creation of the weaponry in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from the April release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens include the complete story behind the making of the film, an unforgettable cast table read, insights from legendary composer John Williams, and deleted scenes, as well as features that dig deeper into the creation of new characters such as BB-8, the design of the climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren, the film’s remarkable digital artistry, and the Star Wars: Force for Change global aid initiative.